Friday, October 7, 2011

Vanity Insanity - Finale. Bathroom Reveal Next!

Here is the last post in my cabinet-making adventures. Hopefully all the technical stuff hasn't bored everyone away. I promise next week will be the full bathroom reveal.

To complete the bathroom vanity, i built Shaker style doors. 1. Because they're easy to build, 2. Because i like they're classic good looks. For stiles and rails i used 1 x 3 poplar, and for the panels i used 1/4" mdf.

My first job was to cut a 1/2" deep dado in all my 1 x 3's. I did this on the table saw with a dado blade. If you're trying this, be sure to run each piece through twice from both directions. This ensures that the dado bottom is flat and centered:



Then i cut the 1 x 3's to the right lengths on my miter saw. I then create tenons on the ends of the rails, using the table saw and dado blade:


After all my stiles and rails are cut:



I then cut out the mdf panels and assemble using glue:


Clamp it all up while the glue dries. Then you can sand, prime, paint, install knobs and install the doors to the cabinet. I used butt hinges from Home Despot about $4 per pair to install mine. To line up the hinges i found a good use for all my old Metropasses and Starbucks cards:


I finished off the bottom of the cabinet with a simple toe kick made of 1 x 4 poplar and a small piece of moulding. I just need to finish priming and painting this last bit:



So that's it! A years worth of starting, stopping, restarting and re-stopping. And there you have it, my first home made vanity. Now, next week i promise to have less tech talk and more pretty stuff. In the meantime, check out Janice's bathroom and vanity if you want to see some really pretty stuff.

2 comments:

LifeBegins@Thirty said...

And see - I would have thought that adding the 'shaker' bit to each door was just gluing some wood around the edges :-)

Love the shape of the legs too.

Thanks for the shout-out and happy Thanksgiving!

Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

You did a fabulous job! I love the shaker profile. A year's work well spent, I think. Good job! Happy Thanksgiving.