Sunday, April 17, 2011

Dining Room Chair Upholstery

We've been meaning to recover our dining room chairs for a long time. We bought our vintage dining chairs 3 years ago from Studio Pazo in Leslieville. Fortunately for us, it was the week that the store was moving one block further West, so we were able to negotiate a pretty good deal.

We had originally wanted mid-century teak dining chairs as we thought the colour would work better with our table, but we really liked the lines of these chairs, and decided on them ,even though they were rosewood instead of teak. To me they look like the love child of a Chippendale and a Finn Juhl. Anyhow, they came with the original seat fabric, a lovely but worn out looking tweed. So on Friday my wife picked up some fabric samples from Designer Fabrics.

We settled on the fabric on the top left. I spent the rest of the weekend reupholstering. Taking the seats off was easy as the manufacturer used allen bolts to hold the seats to the frame.

Once i removed the seat i noticed the frame had a stamp on it that said Danish Overseas Furniture Co, which i thought was pretty neat. Not sure how old these chairs are, but they were in really great condition.

I added a bit of extra dacron batting and the new fabric right over the original (who knows maybe the chairs if left original will be worth something one day - doubtful but who knows). Anyhow, we really like the chairs with the new fabric. We bought enough extra fabric, that if we ever have spills we can always recover 4 more chairs. Here's an after:


7 comments:

Maggie @ Okay, now what? said...

Wow! That's a nice easy re-upholstery project to start with. I still have finished my much more complicated chair which is my first project. Great results.

Maggie @ Okay, now what? said...

um........That's HAVEN'T finished. You know the chair that I started back in Oct 2009.

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

Amazing what fabric and a few minutes can do! I love it! I'm hosting a dining room link party as part of my room-by-room house tour series. Would love for you to link-up!
http://houseography.blogspot.com/2011/04/house-tour-room-by-room-link-up-party.html

Designwali said...

love it....

Ashley@ DesignBuildLove.co said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the chair re-upholstery! While all three fabrics were gorgeous, the one you chose was my #1 choice!!! Nice work!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

love that fabric! modern and neutral... and gorgeous!

Toronto Bathroom Renovations said...

I’m going to be doing a gallery hallway, love the idea and the look and with three little boys, I can continue to keep it fresh throughout the years I think!Our house has always felt like home, even when we first moved in – bare walls and all. We painted during construction so it was all set when we moved in as far as color goes. . I like you're information thank this Dining Room Chair Upholstery.